Submission deadline – Thursday, 30th Sept 2010.
Design Week Waterford is back again in 2010 after the success of our first series of Design Week events last year. Marcus Notley Design and Lee Grace have teamed up together to make this year’s event even bigger and better.
Design Week is an annual, week long celebration of design, which takes the form of a series of events throughout Ireland.
Design Week 2010 is scheduled from 1st to 7th November.
This year our focus is once again to host an exhibition that brings together the professional Design community of Waterford and the South East, and to provide a platform to show businesses and the wider public the latest creative achievements of this community.
Therefore we invite all designers throughout the region to take part in the exhibition featuring a spectrum of projects from many design disciplines which will take place from 1st to 13th November 2010, in Waterford City Council Central Library, Lady Lane, Waterford. Our goal is to celebrate and promote the diversity of design and designers in our region.
Two themes will be represented in this year’s exhibition:
Theme 1 – Do you want to continue promoting you and your work?
We would like designers to submit work (this could be a recent completed project or something else) that best represents a signature of excellence and creativity in their field to showcase to the wider business community and to the general public. We believe the South East can be a destination for sourcing the creative industries. Again we look forward to seeing the best of your work.
Theme 2 - The main theme for Design Week Waterford 2010 is A Vision For Our Future. There is a series of events scheduled around this subject. We want to give you the freedom to show the extent of your creativity. The creative industries are amongst the best equipped to steer society towards a brighter future. We are looking forward to ideas that benefit Waterford city and its inhabitants. This is a chance to present your visionary solutions for Waterford. The more surprising or stunning your entries the better. You can decide! It could be the next new thing changing your design field or an improvement at the level of our home, garden, office, or public space and transport. It could be anything from encouraging tourism to energy saving and healthier lifestyle. Asking this extra effort of you we may be able to publish the outcome further in some form pre- or post-exhibition with the help of Waterford City Enterprise Board and Waterford City Council.
Entries in one or both categories are welcome.
Who Can Enter
Submissions are welcome from all designers in the South East region. Whether your area of expertise is graphic, furniture, fashion, product, web, interior, garden, theatre set, jewellery design, photography, architecture, etc. – we would like to hear from you. All we ask is that your work is of a high standard.
1. Participants can submit a maximum of 2 separate project entries per designer in response to Theme 1 and/or a maximum of 2 in response to Theme 2 for initial selection. However, if you are responding to both themes the maximum amount of entries per designer is limited to 3 in total.
All submissions must be sent by e-mail only. Each project entry must be sent as a separate attachment. Please save your email entry submissions at 300dpi, in a landscape format (remembering that the final selected exhibits must be A2 in size). Each entry submitted by email must be a graphic representation of the final completed A2 landscape board, should it be selected for exhibition.
Also, we suggest that you include any important information on the graphic representation that you think the viewer should know to make your design/project entry self explanatory. Each design/project entry should be saved as a JPEG or PDF file to a file size of no more than 2MB. Please note our mailbox will not accept any e-mails greater than 10MB.
Please email all submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm, Thursday 30th Sept 2010.
Following the selection process each successful exhibition entrant will be contacted by email. After that, each successful exhibition entrant will be required to submit their entry/entries as physical printed and mounted A2 board(s). Participants are responsible for the costs of their own display boards. Every participant can also include a maximum of 50 business cards, which can be delivered along with their physical A2 board(s) should their work be selected for the exhibition.
2. We wish to promote the designers and not just their work. We intend to provide a small information card to accompany each exhibit highlighting the designer and briefly describing their exhibited work.
In your submission e-mail please ensure you also attach the completed ‘Designer-Details-Form.doc’ (one completed form per entry).
To download the form click here
Also, please attach a photo of the designer(s) separately (only one photo is required in total).
Preparation of Boards (for selected Exhibiting Designers)
For uniformity and for the quality of the exhibition we are encouraging that display boards are printed and mounted in a similar fashion. All boards must be printed in a high quality resolution and must be cut out to A2 size, in landscape format. Each A2 board should be prepared on printed gloss vinyl and mounted onto a 3mm Foamex plastic display board.
To assist with these requirements we recommend Graphic Image – a local Waterford print business for very competitive prices.
Graphic Image can also assist each participant to prepare the JPEG or PDF artwork files for the initial selection phase, if required. Please contact: David Kent (Junior), Graphic Image, Parnell Street, Waterford.
Tel: 051 304 854 / 051 858 787 or E-mail: email@example.com
You are welcome to use any other print companies for the A2 boards provided that the board requirements are adhered to. Please label the back of each board with your contact details, (name, telephone, address).
- All initial entries must be submitted by e-mail by 5pm Thursday, 30th Sept 2010.
- Successful entrants will be notified by e-mail by Wednesday, 6th October 2010.
- Successful entrants will be required to deliver exhibition boards to Marcus Notley Design by Friday, 22nd Oct 2010.
Delivery address: Marcus Notley Design, 3 Rocwood Close, Grange Manor, Williamstown Road, Waterford (City). Please see detailed map here:
The Exhibition plans to run from 1st to 13th November 2010. Exhibiting designers will be required to collect their boards from Marcus Notley Design by 5pm Friday, 26th November 2010.
Terms and Conditions
- The images and information submitted to the Exhibition may be used for advertising and promotional purposes to promote the event.
- After the commencement of the Design Week Waterford Exhibition the rights to the press publications will remain with both the designer and the event organizers.
- All boards are submitted at the designers’ own risk. You will not be reimbursed for any lost or damaged boards.
- All boards are submitted at the designers’ own cost.
- Boards that remain uncollected after 26th November 2010 will be destroyed.
- The organizers’ decision on what entries get selected and how they are displayed is final.
- By submitting entry/entries to the Design Week Waterford Exhibition you are agreeing to the Terms and Conditions as outlined.
Please email the following attachments for the Initial Selection Submission:
- Design Entry/Entries, a maximum of 3 per designer (if responding to both Themes)
- Completed ‘Designer-Details-Form.doc’ (one completed form per entry).
- Photo of the designer(s).
Once selected as an Exhibiting Designer, please submit the following:
- Physical A2 display board for each selected entry.
- Please label the back of each board with your contact details (name, telephone, address).
- Business cards (maximum of 50 per designer) —business cards are optional.